HomeCarrum Downs hit run: Timmy Rakei’s family speaks as search continues for...

Carrum Downs hit run: Timmy Rakei’s family speaks as search continues for driver



Loved ones have spoken out as the desperate search continues for the driver who allegedly left a cherished husband for dead on the side of a road.

Loved ones of a cherished husband and father killed in a horror smash in Melbourne’s southeast are pleading with the driver to “own up to what they have done”.

Timmy Rakei, 44, was cordoning off a section of the road near the intersection of Lats Avenue in Carrum Downs with another traffic worker when a vehicle ploughed into the pair on Tuesday about 7.15am.

The father from Bayswater died at the scene, while his 38-year-old colleague was flown to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

A search continues for the man who fled the scene.

Police have released a photo of a caucasian man and in his 30s who they believe may be able to assist with their inquiries.

Relative Isobel Dayberg said the family had been left “devastated” and urged the driver to come forward.

“Everyone should be able to go to work to provide for your family and come home safe,” she told NCA NewsWire.

“We are all devastated and those involved need to come forward and own up to what they have done.

“Timmy is an amazing uncle to my kids and always checked in on us. We will miss you Timmy.”

Police were also looking for another man who picked up the driver from the crash scene in a black Hyundai SUV.

It was spotted by police later on Tuesday on Ballarto Road, prompting a pursuit.

Officers attempted to intercept the duo, but police said the driver of the Hyundai drove dangerously at police and escaped.

Detective Senior Sergeant Jarrod Dwyer from the major collision investigation unit said the driver fled despite the pleas of passers-by who witnessed the carnage unfold.

“He got out, looked directly at the two victims and ran off. It’s just a callous, cold act. It’s the act of a coward,” he said.

“We are pulling out all stops and we will find these people. Hand yourselves in, we have got your photograph.”

WorkSafe was also investigating the incident, which took Victoria’s workplace fatality toll to 50 for this year.

The state’s workplace safety watchdog said Mr Rakei was setting up traffic management for roadworks when he was hit by the car.

Anyone who has information about the whereabouts of both men or information relating to the black Hyundai should phone triple-0.

Read related topics:Melbourne




LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img