Former federal Attorney-General, Christian Porter, is tipped to quit politics in the wake of the bruising fallout from a rape allegation.
Christian Porter is tipped to quit politics in the wake of the bruising fallout from a rape allegation that saw him abused and spat at in the street.
The former Attorney-General, who strenuously denies the rape claim, announced he was standing down from the front bench last month.
But at the time he insisted he still planned to contest the next election.
It followed his refusal to disclose the identity of mystery donors who funded his legal fight against the ABC, which is estimated to be costing up to $1 million.
Earlier this year Mr Porter revealed he had received thousands of dollars from anonymous donors to pay for his legal fees.
But he declined to say how much he had received or who gave him the money, insisting he didn‘t know who provided the cash.
While there was speculation he had been given $1 million anonymously, sources close to Mr Porter claimed it was closer to $500,000.
At the time of the controversy and his resignation, he said it was his intention to run at the next election in the seat of Pearce.
But speculation is again growing that he will step down ahead of the next election that is expected to be held in March or May of next year.
Mr Porter refused to confirm or deny he planned to quit when contacted on Monday.
The West Australian newspaper is reporting Mr Porter has declared he’s “over it” and will head to Sydney to practise law.
When he resigned from the frontbench, he revealed he was spat at in the street after what he describes as a trial by media over “false” rape allegations.
Mr Porter sued the ABC over an article revealing an unnamed cabinet minister was the subject of a 1988 rape allegation.
He chose to self-identify as the target of the allegation in March.
In late May, he discontinued the case after the ABC agreed to add an editorial note to the story stating it did not intend to suggest Mr Porter had committed the alleged offence and that “both parties accept that some readers misinterpreted the article as an accusation of guilt
The ABC did not pay him any damages but did agree to pay $100,000 towards the cost of the mediation towards settlement of the matter, leaving him with huge legal bills.
Mr Porter will also be formally asked by a powerful parliamentary committee in coming days to explain his refusal to declare the donors to a blind trust established to pay his legal fees.
The privileges committee has offered Mr Porter a right of reply following a complaint by shadow attorney general, Mark Dreyfus.
Labor has attacked the blind trust in parliament, describing it as the “cover up to end all cover ups.”
“The term blind trust is being used. This is a brown paper bag stitched together by lawyers, we had no idea whose money is involved,” Labor frontbencher Tony Burke said.
“It would be the cover-up to end all cover-ups if this House prevents the privileges committee from even looking at the issue.”
But Mr Porter has always maintained he has done nothing wrong.
“Ultimately, I decided that if I have to make a choice between seeking to pressure the trust to break individuals’ confidentiality in order to remain in cabinet, or alternatively forgo my cabinet position, there is only one choice I could, in all conscience, make,” Mr Porter said
News.com.au has contacted Mr Porter’s office for comment.