Beleaguered casino giant Crown Resorts has turned to a hotel veteran to head up its Barangaroo operations in Sydney.
Troubled casino group Crown Resorts has roped in Accor Pacific boss Simon McGrath AM to head up its Sydney operations and the yet-to-be-licensed luxury tower at Barangaroo.
Mr McGrath is currently responsible for 397 hotels, 62,276 guest rooms and 18,000 employees at Accor and has worked in the tourism and hospitality sector for three decades, including in Malaysia, Thailand and throughout the Pacific region.
He joins the James Packer-controlled company as it struggles to rebuild its reputation following a series of damaging public scandals.
The NSW Bergin inquiry into Crown’s operations last year ruled the company was unfit to hold a licence at its $2.2bn Barangaroo venue amid allegations of money laundering and links to organised crime at its Melbourne and Perth venues.
That finding in December blocked the expected opening of Barangaroo, with the company tasked with overhauling its operations before a licence could be considered.
That has so far included a cleanout of Crown’s board and senior management, with former Lendlease chief executive Steve McCann in May appointed the company’s new boss.
Former Crown Sydney chief executive Peter Crinis stepped down in July just six months into the role.
Mr McCann on Tuesday said he was excited to welcome Mr McGrath to the executive team.
“Simon is a highly regarded executive who will bring to Crown his wealth of experience in the operation of luxury hotels and global hospitality businesses,” Mr McCann said.
“With Simon’s stewardship, we are confident that Crown Sydney will set the standard of excellence for all of our customers and guests.”
The Victorian royal commission into Crown last month found the company had an “alarming catalogue of wrongdoing”, but it would keep its licence at Southbank for now.
A royal commission into the company’s Western Australian venue continues.