HomeDr Daniel Lanzer commits to stop practising medicine after ABC, Nine air...

Dr Daniel Lanzer commits to stop practising medicine after ABC, Nine air serious allegations



A cosmetic surgeon who was the subject of a Four Corners report has told the medical board he will stop practising medicine in the wake of serious allegations against him.

Controversial internationally renowned cosmetic surgeon Daniel Lanzer has given a legally enforceable undertaking not to practise medicine, as the fallout from a joint investigation into alleged troubling procedures at his hand continues.

Dr Lanzer was subject to an investigation by Nine newspapers and the ABC, which revealed alleged serious hygiene and safety breaches, as well as botched procedures that left patients in extreme pain and requiring further treatment.

On Saturday, the Medical Board of Australia said it had accepted a legal commitment from Dr Lanzer to cease practising any form of medicine in Australia.

In a statement, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency said their investigations into Dr Lanzer were “ongoing” and could not comment further due to privacy provisions.

Earlier in the week, the agency and the board released a joint statement saying they were “deeply concerned” about allegations aired against Dr Lanzer.

Investigations aired on Monday’s Four Corners program revealed footage from former staffers that showed Dr Lanzer, his staff, and contractors singing and dancing while performing liposuction procedures on an unconscious patient.

Other allegations included the removal of 10 litres of fat and fluids from liposuction patients in one procedure, as well as staff being asked to store human fat in their home fridges to avoid questions during an audit.

Other patients have alleged they were left in pain and required hospital treatment in the wake of their surgery in one of Dr Lanzer’s clinics.

Since the stories broke, more than 80 former patients have come forward with their own allegations of malpractice at the hands of Dr Lanzer.

Dr Lanzer hit back at the allegations, saying they had been driven by a “divide” in the world of surgery.

“There has been a longstanding, one-sided, jealousy and financially related turf war between a group of surgeons called plastic surgeons and non-plastic surgeons,” he said.

He said he was “very proud” of his career.

With his clinics in Sydney and Melbourne closed in the wake of the allegations, Victorian authorities are also investigating the claims.




LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img