Thousands of Australians have voted for their favourite supermarket finds and it’s obvious the pandemic has had a huge influence on their top picks.
Australian shoppers have voted on their favourite products and Coles, along with convenience, have dominated the list.
The impact of the pandemic was evidence in the results from the annual Product of the Year Awards which found more than one in three shoppers said they would switch products if it was easier for them.
Of the 37 winners across multiple categories, 12 were easy snacks, ready-to-eat products, or frozen meals.
This includes Coles’ Green Goddess Salad Kit that won the best fresh ready to eat product and Nando’s Bag & Bake range for the cooking category.
Another 12 award winners were affordable luxury and indulgence items including mattresses, desserts, and skincare products.
The data, conducted by Nielsen, revealed almost 90 per cent of consumers had tried at least one new product in the past 12 months, while 47 per cent switched between different branded products while trialling something new.
Price remained the main factor when deciding to switch to new products but convenience followed and overtook recommendations from friends and family and availability.
It was also revealed half of Australians believed it was important that new products they tried were sustainable.
The research also found consumers believed Woolworths had the best online shopping experience with one third of participants voting for the major supermarket for providing them the most convenience.
The major retailer bet Coles, ALDI and IGA on all factors that were tested but it tied with Coles when it came to affordability; when combined, they ranked in almost two thirds of shoppers’ votes over who had the best prices.
Consumers claimed Woolworths had the best fresh and healthy or organic products, with 41 per cent of people voting for the supermarket, while 29 per cent voted for Coles.
Overall, Coles took out the gong for the best product in 11 categories — including best coffee, batteries, small goods, frozen performance meals and indulgent snacks — while Woolworths won six that include health food, nappies and personal care items.
Winners were selected after a rigorous testing process was completed.
A panel of judges — composed of various industry experts — test the products for quality, credibility, and innovation.
Then, the products they select as finalists are voted on by 5000 Australians.
Product of the Year Director Sarah Connelly said the ongoing and unexpected restrictions considerably shifted Australia’s consumer habits.
“Now we’re seeing people having to work from home more, manage more people in their household and even in many instances, homeschool children, which is leaving the average Aussie short on time and capacity to prepare lavish meals,” she said.
“Instead, we are seeing the move towards easy, simple and pre-made meals and snacks, that save people time and leaves them with one less thing to worry about in their day-to-day lives.”
HERE’S A FULL LIST OF THE WINNING PRODUCTS:
- Best female grooming product: Finishing Touch Flawless Dermaplane Glow
- Best coffee (ready to drink): Coles Express Urban Coffee Culture Coffee
- Best hot food to go (ready to eat): Coles Express Beef Pie 175g
- Best batteries: NRG’s Super Alkaline AAA 24 Pack
- Best coffee: DALEY ST‘s Dark Ground Coffee 200g
- Best fresh ready to eat product: Coles Kitchen‘s Green Goddess Salad Kit
- Best frozen performance meals: Coles PerForm‘s Open Chicken Fajita 330g Frozen Meal
- Best indulgent snack (cookies): Coles Ultimate 40% Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best meat and kebabs: Coles Made Easy Slow Cooked Pork & Beef Meatballs in tomato sauce 800g
- Best pet care (cat): Elevate’s Adult Dry Cat Food Seafood & Rice with Sweet Potato 800g
- Best sausages: Coles Finest Angus Beef, Herbs & Spices Sausages 500g
- Best smallgoods: Coles Australian Streaky Bacon 200g
- Best tea: Dilmah TEA Organic Range 20s (8 Variants)
- Best men’s grooming product: Bulldog Skincare’s Original Bamboo Razor
- Best bread and wraps: Old El Paso Tortilla Pockets
- Best premium pastas meal: 25 Degrees South Pasta Range
- Best plant based/ready meal: Plantry Plant Based Meals
- Best mattress: Koala’s The Calm As Mattress
- Best sofa bed: Koala’s Cushy Sofa Bed
- Best OTW: Lakanto Maple Flavoured Syrup with Monkfruit Sweetener 375ml
- Best OTW: Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener Baking Blend 200g
- Best children’s probiotic product: Inner Health Eczema Shield Kids
- Best cooking product: Nando’s Bag & Bake (range)
- Best petcare (dog): Farmers Market Home-Styled Shreds
- Best vegan snack: Spliits Veggie Crispbread
- Best rice and pasta: San Remo Performance Pasta
- Best pest control: Raid® Earth Options Botanicals Multi Insect Killer
- Best sauces and mayo: Leggo‘s Organic Sauces
- Best OTW: Twisted Healthy Treats‘ Rich Chocolate Ice Cream Licks
- Best nappies: Little One‘s Size 2 Ultra Dry Nappies Infant 4-8kg Boys & Girls (56 pack)
- Best heat and eat pasta: Woolworths Quick Pasta Spirals 300g
- Best vegan frozen dessert: Plantitude Coconut & Mango Frozen Dessert 1L
- Best health food: Plantitude Coconut Natural Yoghurt 500g
- Best Macro Whole Living Laundry Powder Geranium and Musk 1KG
- Best personal care product: Balnea Premium Body Lotion Geranium, Sandalwood & Neroli 500ml
- Best RTD Alcohol Free product: Lyre‘s G & T