HomeSearch for missing Shark attack victim at Port Beach, North Fremantle to...

Search for missing Shark attack victim at Port Beach, North Fremantle to resume



A frantic search will resume at first light for a missing swimmer off the WA coast after a suspected shark attack near a popular beach.

A search for a 57-year-old man feared dead after a shark attack off the Western Australian coast will resume at first light on Sunday.

Emergency services were called to the scene after reports of a shark attack at Port Beach in North Fremantle about 10.10am on Saturday.

An air and sea search for any trace of the swimmer was launched but was scaled back after dark last night.

Police have praised the efforts of two teenage boys who raised the alarm after witnessing the attack while on a boat in the water.

They then rushed ashore and warned other beachgoers to get to safety.

“They actually quite vividly saw what was going on in the water,” WA Police Acting Inspector Troy Douglas said.

“It’s a fantastic effort. It was probably something you don’t want to see. They reacted really, really well.”

The victim is a regular swimmer at the popular beach. His wife and children were on the beach at the time.

Kaiden Boult told The West Australian he and his friends had been surfing when the two teenage boys screamed at them to get out of the water.

“We scurried out on to the rocks (and went) to get a look from a high vantage point. As soon as we did we saw a massive shark out there,” he said.

“Next thing you know there’s cops and paramedics coming out of everywhere, and they cordoned it off and said it was a crime scene.”

Beaches have been closed from North Mole through to North Cottesloe by the City of Fremantle and Town of Cottesloe. Beach closed signage has been erected and the closure remains in place until 12 noon Sunday.




LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

spot_img