A homeowner recovering from last week’s violent storms has been dealt another cruel blow on the eve of a second bout of wild weather.
A Victorian homeowner whose power had been cut off since last week’s storms has been dealt a further blow after a generator they were using for backup power sparked a massive blaze.
Seven firefighter trucks responded about 6.30pm on Tuesday, but the home on Moola Rd in Cockatoo on Melbourne’s southeastern fringe had already been gutted.
A CFA spokesperson said the occupants inside managed to flee the burning house.
“It is believed the fire started in or around a generator being used due to lack of electricity to the house following last week’s storms,” they said.
“The damage is too extensive to determine whether the generator had an electrical fault or the fire was caused by other circumstances.”
There were thousands of calls for help last Thursday as roofs and cars were smashed by falling trees and wind gusts of more than 100km/h struck the state.
Four days later almost 6000 Victorian households were still without power, with many homes relying on generators for backup power.
Households in Melbourne’s outer east, including the Dandenong Ranges, were the hardest hit.
It comes as another bout of wet and wild weather is forecast to hit the state on Wednesday and for the rest of the week.
Rain and winds, gusting up to 50km/h, are expected on Wednesday and into Thursday.
Power is not expected to be fully restored in all areas affected by last week’s storms until Friday.
Mobile phone, landline and internet services are also expected to remain severely disrupted for several days in some of the hardest-hit regions, including parts of Mornington Peninsula.