HomeWilliam Tyrrell: ‘Surprising’ change in search for missing boy

William Tyrrell: ‘Surprising’ change in search for missing boy

A “surprising” police act in relation to the William Tyrrell search has been revealed, with hundreds of officers once again out searching for the boy.

A “surprising” decision by NSW Police in relation to the William Tyrrell search has been revealed, after renewed efforts to find the boy were announced yesterday.

On Monday, police revealed “many hundreds of officers” would search three locations around the area where the three-year-old disappeared more than seven years ago.

William was playing with his five-year-old sister in the yard at his foster grandmother’s house on Benaroon Drive, Kendall, on the NSW mid-north coast on September 12, 2014, when she suddenly couldn’t find him.

He was three years old at the time and wearing a Spider-Man costume.

On Tuesday, 10 News journalist Lia Harris revealed the move by police she believes hinted they may have changed their tactics in the search for William.

Harris hosted the ‘Where’s William Tyrrell?’ podcast, which included multiple interviews with the boy’s foster family and many others.

Speaking to 2GB’s Ben Fordham on Tuesday, Harris said police issued a subpoena from the Coroner’s Court about two weeks ago that covered “everything that we had” in relation to the investigation.

In creating the podcast, Harris said she had uncovered audio, files, documents along with multiple interviews with William’s foster family.

“It wasn’t surprising that they wanted all of that because we already knew that we had uncovered things that perhaps police hadn’t found,” she said.

“But what was surprising is that it came two years after the podcast was born and two years after the coronial inquest.”

Harris said this signified to her that police had taken a new direction with the search.

A Network 10 spokeswoman told news.com.au on Monday that audio files from the podcast were subpoenaed by the NSW Coroner’s Court.

“We can confirm that raw audio files from the podcast by Lia Harris, ‘Where’s William Tyrrell?’ – including interviews with William Tyrrell’s foster family and others close to the case – were subpoenaed by the NSW Coroner’s Court,” she said.

Police ‘hopeful’ Tyrrell case can be concluded

State Crime Command director Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett fronted the media on Monday, saying said the renewed search efforts are expected to take two to three weeks.

He said the operation would involve checking “new locations” and a “different type of search method”.

“This activity is in response to evidence we have obtained in the course of the investigation, not speculative in any way, we are acting on behalf of the coroner and in conjunction with the colonial orders, she will be kept updated with regard to our progress,” Mr Bennett said.

“There is a large amount of work to be undertaken, we will be working specialist areas and people from outside the police force. We are very hopeful we can bring this matter to some sort of conclusion.”

Asked whether they were looking for William’s remains or whether they were looking for him alive, he said it was “highly likely” officers would be looking for a body.

“It’s highly likely that we, if we found something it would be a body. We are looking for the remains of William Tyrrell, no doubt about that,” he said.

He said he believes the search will “take us a degree towards finding out what happened to William”.

“I’m not anticipating a swift end to the investigation by any means,” he said.

Strike Force Rosann detectives have investigated hundreds of leads and several persons of interest as part of the ongoing search for William.

A $1 million reward is still on the table for finding the missing child.

In September, detectives revisited the Kendall area where William vanished and revealed new information had “come to light”.

The Homicide Squad’s Strike Force Rosann marked the seven-year anniversary of the disappearance by revisiting his foster grandmother’s home on the NSW mid-north coast.

“Further information has since come to light, as part of our ongoing review of the materials gathered by investigators since the moment William went missing seven years ago,” Strike Force Rosann Officer-in-Charge, Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw, said at the time.

Police did not comment further as to what the new information was, but the previous week it had been reported detectives had renewed their inquiries into a person of interest who had previously been dismissed.

– with Ben Graham


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read